Did you know?
According to the Alzheimer’s Association UK, in the United Kingdom more than 1,000,000 people are living with dementia.
About Alzheimer’s Disease & Dementia
Alzheimer's disease is the most common type of dementia, an overall term for conditions that occur when the brain no longer functions properly. Alzheimer’s causes problems with memory, thinking and behavior. In the early stage, dementia symptoms may be minimal, but as the disease causes more damage to the brain, symptoms worsen. The rate at which the disease progresses is different for everyone, but on average, people with Alzheimer’s live for eight years after symptoms begin. While there are currently no treatments to stop Alzheimer’s disease from progressing, there are medications to treat dementia symptoms. In the past three decades, dementia research has provided a much deeper understanding of how Alzheimer’s affects the brain. Today, researchers are continuing to look for more effective treatments and a cure, as well as ways to prevent Alzheimer’s and improve brain health.
How can we help?
Making sure your loved one receives the care they deserve is at the top of our to-do list. ADINA Home Care offers you the aid to support Alzheimer patients in some of the following examples:
- Memory stimulation:
- Brain games, such as crossword puzzles and word searches are proven to help stimulate the mind. A caregiver can spark conversation with the patient in topics that are interesting and meaningful to them.
- Meal preparation:
- Caregivers are experienced in addressing dietary concerns, including diabetes, food allergies and chewing ability. Caregivers can serve patients’ meals exactly how they like and make sure they stay hydrated.
- Mobility Assistance:
- In the advanced stages of Alzheimer’s, a patient’s ability to walk or stand may be hindered. Caregiver’s can help patients stand on their own two feet in a familiar environment, their home, and assist in moving them from one place to another.
- Alzheimer’s Education:
- Alzheimer’s disease occurs in seven stages and your caregiver can help to educate you on the facts and information.
Benefits of Alzheimer’s care include:
- Stabilized conversation skills
- Reduced wandering
- Decreased agitation and stress
See how Alzheimer's affects the brain
Take our Brain Tour